Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Yet Another Top Five-List

My boyfriend, Niels, and I had a discussion a couple weeks ago about actors, and which ones were our all-time favorites. I beraded him because he was only listing male actors, no females. Niels argued that this was because he liked movies that were filled with predominantly men, good action- and war-movies such as Apocolypse Now or Gangs of New York, to be more prescise. He thought about women he admired for a long time, and finally admitted that he thought Nicole Kidman was good.

Niels then asked me about my favorites, and laughed when I listed mostly women, go figure. So, after much thought about the matter, I've now decided to list my (so far) Top Five Favorite Actors and Actresses.

1. Toni Colette

(Little Miss Sunshine, Shaft, Muriel's Wedding)

She's so cute, and is the kind of lady I wish was my Aunt.


2. Kathleen Turner

(Serial Mom, The Virgin Sucides, Beautiful)


Someone I'm really glad ISN'T in my family, because this lady is kind of terrifying, but still FABULOUS! Husky voice, that devilish smirk, and she has worked with John Waters. Cool lady.

3. Christina Ricci

(Prozac Nation, Opposite of Sex, Addams Family Values)

Prozac Nation made a huge impression on me, both the book and the film adaptation. Ricci as Elizabeth Wurtzel on X, dancing with Lou Reed while "Perfect Day" plays in the background is beautiful. In fact, Christina Ricci is just kinda all-around gorgeous. 

4. Marie Bonnevie

(The Polar Bear King, I am Dina, Jerusalem)

Norwegian. Intense. So talented, yet under the radar. Shame...

5. Susan Sarandon                                                                                                                            

(The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Thelma and Louise, James and the Giant Peach)

1. Steve Carell

(The Office, 40 Year Old Virgin, Little Miss Sunshine)

This man is so funny. Ever since his The Daily Show-days I have been in love with Steve. Watch The Office and tell me you disagree.

2. Bill Murray
(Ghostbusters, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Groundhog Day)


Bill Murray is the dryest man in the world. He so dry, he make the Sahara look damp, ok? Bill Murray's a genious.

3.James Remar

(The Warriors, Dexter, Pineapple Express)

Probably the least known guy on my list, but don't let that fool you, this guy is way cool. His chacter Richard Wright was the only man that Samantha on Sex and the City ever loved (before Smith, of course), he always makes me laugh when he says "Wuss the matta? Ya goin' FAGGOT?" in The Warriors, not to mention, he's the voice of Rayden in Mortal Combat:Annihilation.

4.Samuel L. Jackson                                                                                                                                

(Pulp Fiction, Black Snake Moan, Snakes on a Plane)

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

5. Steve Buscemi

(Resevoir Dogs, Ghost World, Fargo)

Steve Buscemi is so creepy, and smarmy, and looks like the kinda guy that makes you grab hold of your pepperspray if you meet him on the street. Bugeyed, crooked teeth (like me!), sullen cheekbones, he's definately got the whole Heroin-Chic-look down, but, on the other hand, he's sorta lovable in a weird, goofy kind of way. He's aiight by me.

Now, Two Actors Who are Actually Great, but Everyone Forgets because of Bad Publicity:

Tom Cruise

Yeah, I know he's this crazy Scientologist who jumps on couches and, like, keeps his wife locked up or something, but we have to look past that and realize that Cruise has brought us plenty of cinematic joys such as Vanilla Sky, Magnolia, and Rain Man. And remember when he looked like this:

Lindsay Lohan:

The ringleader of Those Who are Loved to Be Hated by Teenagers and Gossip Rags. Underage and drunk, rehab, smackin' down paparazzis, and I guess she's gay now(?), Lohan has taken a few punches below the belt from the media. But let me take you back to a time before all that: It's 2004, and Lohan isn't old enough to get into clubs, there was Mean Girls and Freaky Friday. I ADORE Mean Girls, and believe that alongside with Clueless and Heathers, it's manditory Chick-Cinema.

5 comments:

Tony said...

Nina, denne er old.

Nina L said...

Den er oppdatert! :D

Tony said...

Så det nå! Men ... Tom Cruise bra i Vanilla Sky? :s Og Lindsay Lohan? :( Tom Cruise eier forresten i Tropic Thunder. Robert Downey Jr. óg. Se den, om du ikke har gjort det alt.

l. rizzo said...

I LOVE TOM.

Russ Burlingame said...

Men:
Dustin Hoffman, Robert Downey Jr., Jason Lee, John Cusack, Bill Murray

Women:
Claire Danes, Thora Birch, Susan Sarandon, Kim Dickens, Natalie Portman